Sunday, April 8, 2012

FRESH AND NEW

Holy Week is past and Easter Weekend is mostly over. I feel like this weekend has infused an aura of 'fresh and new.' The early spring inspired me to plant seeds several weeks past, and new little pea and onion plants have pushed up through the ground and are reaching for the sun. My father always encouraged us to plant potatoes on Good Friday, and I was too busy to get that done this week; so on Saturday I dug up a plot of ground and planted potatoes. Daffodils are blooming in the front yard of the house, and the grass is quickly turning spring green. In the back yard, I have harvested asparagus spears, and one of the apple trees has blossomed verdantly. Everything feels new and fresh.
When the weather is frowning, and it is not conducive to being outside; I tend to fall a bit into the doldrums and follow a pattern that becomes dreary. The coming of spring and the weather that beckons me outside has infused me with fresh vigor and new hope. It is important that I become 'fresh and new' in the facets of my life that has become clouded and cluttered with cares. I have been sorting out the pains and hurts that have lurked in the corners of my soul, and to examine them in the light of God. I am set in this world, at this place and in this time, for a purpose. If I can focus on that fact and bend my energies toward living my life to the fullest in every way, I will fulfill God's plan for me. He will use my daily actions and interactions to glorify Himself. I can live a fresh and new life each day.
This feeling has spilled over into our work at the mission. A man came into church this morning who has not been there for a few months, and he shared some of his heart with us. We found his reflections very refreshing and enlightening. We appreciate the insight that people share with us.
This afternoon, several children came in for Sunday School and were so attentive during the Resurrection story. After the story, we went downstairs and decorated cupcakes with toasted coconut and jelly beans. They enjoyed decorating them, and some of them ate them immediately; while others carefully carried theirs home with them.
Thank you for your interest in Lower Brule.

No comments:

Post a Comment