Sunday, January 9, 2011

BOUNCING SHOES

Somewhere in my life, our family acquired an old pair of something I've labeled 'bouncing shoes.' Unfortunately, I must have disposed of them during one of our gazillion moves. Otherwise, I would take a picture of them so you could see them. They were a metal platform fitted with leather straps that buckled around the shoe of the wearer. Fastened to the metal platform were two large coil springs which rested on a bottom platform. The wearer would wear these 'shoes' and bounce as long as his strength endured. I tried them once, but I am not as lithe as I would like to be, and the fun lasted just a short time. However, I was wearing some 'bouncing shoes' yesterday; and I have worn them a few other times in my life. A letter that I received in the mail made my shoes 'bounce. ' It came from a friend that I have known and admired for several years, and who lives in the western part of the state. It was carefully hand lettered with a message for me. In part, it said, "I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you, and your Christian walk with God...I have been hearing so much nice things that you have been doing!" What a spring it put in my heel! It made me remember a student who wrote to me last semester and said, "Mrs. Meador, thank you for understanding us." Winning the lottery wouldn't feel that good! When I graduated with my MA, a girl that I formerly worked with gave me a card that said, "Thank you for always being there for me and listening to me. You never judged me but encouraged me to follow God which I finally understand now since I follow Him." Guess you already know that is my fav card. :) I bounced for a month after that. Life calls for a lot of 'give and take~' usually more give than take. I tend to lose my perspective, and then I feel pretty down. Think I'll make an 'encouragement scrapbook' to look at when I feel worthless and stupid. Maybe I could wear those 'bouncing shoes' more often. I am sure that you have encouragements in your life that you could add to this blog post--you are welcome to comment and share them. Life is tough~we can use our own encouragements along with everyone else's. I am trying to learn to cherish everything positive in my life and let go of the negative: Bounce, Bounce, Bounce.
We drove through blowing and drifting snow today to get to the mission, and found the church yard piled high with light snow. A few minutes of shoveling gave us a decent path, and we were ready when people started arriving. Ray wasn't overly impressed with my idea of taking pictures while he shoveled, but you can see that I did it and he did it. :) We appreciate the men who ventured out in the weather and attended this morning. After church was over, Ray and I were busy in the basement and thought we heard a noise upstairs. Upon investigation, we found a gentleman who comes to church sometimes, but didn't make it this morning. He had written a message in the snow for us with his cane. He was still there when we opened the door, and we had a nice time visiting with him. He has a good sense of humor, and he lightened our day.
We hope that you have a lovely (bouncy) week, and may God bless you for your interest in Lower Brule.

3 comments:

  1. God has sent me encouragement through my husband. He (my husband) gave me several compliments last week that made my day sparkle.
    -Esther Troyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I greatly appreciate your posts. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. It seems like a husband's compliments are so much more cherished than anyone else's. Thank you for your encouragement about our posts.

    ReplyDelete