Sunday, August 11, 2013

' ...LIKE A TREE...'

"And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringing forth his fruit in his season..."
                                                                                                                                
 ~Psalm 1: 3~
     I have a fascination for trees-matter of fact, I love trees. I was raised in the northern part of Michigan, which is known as the 'northwoods,' and trees were very much a part of my life when I was growing up. Fifty miles of forest stretched behind our house to Lake Michigan, and my parents' property had been carved out of that woods many years before we arrived. When we first moved to South Dakota, I wondered how I could ever be happy in this 'barren' land. I began to plant trees-apple trees and a peach tree, a cherry tree and six green ash trees. I watered them and talked to them and coaxed them, and they thrived.
I enjoy a walk down a shady path
  When we moved into our home here in Mitchell, I was so happy to see the many trees planted around the house. I am sure that most people feel that our little piece of property is a serious piece of 'overkill' when it come to trees, but they make me very happy.
Dead, but still bringing nurture to the hummingbirds and butterflies
One of my friends saw a 'piece of Chinese silk' in the graceful curves of these limbs
    Our goal in our lives is to be 'fruitful' and to become as trees that will shelter and nurture others, both in Lower Brule and in Mitchell. I sometimes take a step back and assess our current activities, and I measure our depth of perspective in relation to others. We are here on earth to protect, to comfort, to encourage, and to bear the fruits of righteousness in our daily lives.
Fruit
 I love the passage in Revelation which describes the Tree of Life:
"In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations."
                                                                                                                       
   ~Revelation 22:2~

No comments:

Post a Comment